Sunday, September 11, 2005

As of today only 39% of Americans are dumb (Bush Approval Rating)

I went to a potluck at the local Mennonite church Thursday evening. Cindy Sheehan’s Bring Them Home Now tour was in Columbus and my friends and I thought it would be a good idea to show some support for the cause. First of all, the church folks were cool as hell and they know how to throw down some good food. I guess I was not sure what to expect, I went with an open mind but still assuming it would be a whole bang up of move-on peeps and some tables and of course some freaky Mennonites telling me bout Jesus. I was surprised, which is always freaking nice, that it was a completely beautiful experience. It was in essence, a bunch of diverse people sharing food and stories. It was a place where the energy was thick with good juju and you felt like you could exhale. It was a place that held a tremendous amount of hope mingled with a quiet sadness. As I held Finn on my lap after dinner and listened to the stories of the families from the tour I was struck by one of those defining moments. I had a realization that someday Finn will be a man and practice his free will and things will change and all of this will happen faster than I can even believe sitting on a Mennonite pew. I pray that my son has a long life. I pray that war escapes him. I pray for these families that they may find peace within this tour. They are seeking and I hope they find. There have been many viewpoints to this tour and Cindy Sheehan in general- I have heard “propaganda”, “anti-bush”, “anti soldier” and a whole bunch of other shit coming from right wings, but I can’t help but think that this is what is needed. People need to belong and they need to have a platform. This is an agenda, a necessary agenda that needs to continue. What is we all were focused and driven enough to really spread our truths, our messages-even if it hurt? What if?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Permalink
Timothy Noah: Joe Allbaugh, Disaster Pimp. 09/08/05 Jonathan Alter on How to Save the Big Easy.
racce dipado is the owner of
workflow management
which is a premier resource for workflow management information.
for more information, go to http://www.aspworkflow.com

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a workflow management site/blog. It pretty much covers workflow management related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Admin said...

Your blog is very great pot heads might like this ames lawn garden tool There's lots of information about ames lawn garden tool

Anonymous said...

Ejoyed your wondeful page, please visit my Spy Tools page!

Anonymous said...

Visit my go "screw yourself spammers" website! How rude!!! Good job, Amy. See if you can control who posts comments...or turn them off. k

Anonymous said...

Did the Mennonites like how you use F a lot in conversation? HAH!!!!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails