Friday, April 18, 2008

There'll be days like this my Mama said

"To be a parent is and should be a calling. There is absolutely nothing as great, challenging, or rewarding as raising a child." So says über-mom Rose Rock, who has raised 10 children in addition to caring for 17 foster children in her 40-plus years as a mother.
Mama don't play. I really liked Rose Rock's book Mama Rock's Rules: Ten Lessons for Raising a Houseful of Successful Children. I was not sure if I would like it. I thought it was going to be too much of a control/Authoritarian style from what I had heard in snippets here and there, but I was surprised and engaged with the mama advice style of her book. I was impressed with this woman and her mastery of family. Mama Rose is a true authoritative parent. She is demanding and loving and real! It is like old school in the sense that it is the kind of non- nonsense approach to rearing kids. I liked the talk of not trying to be your children's friend and just parent! Um, ya think. As we become a more and more youth obsessed culture, I think we try and befriend our children and often become permissive parents as this happens. As I read the book, I did not agree with everything, but my respect for this true gem of a mother grew with each page. The 10 vital rules were solid and grounded in reality and love. I appreciated that this book dealt with children beyond preschool. We are inundated with baby, toddler, and preschool books that rise to fame, but we don't see that many parenting bibles for the elementary and beyond crowd. I think it is crucial to have a reference as a parent beyond What to Expect series. I enjoyed the issue of tradition and families and liked that Mama Rose explained traditions can start anytime and how it is the glue that really defines and holds a family together through good and bad times. It sparked a sense of purpose and drive for me to think more about my own family traditions and rituals. Obviously the woman knows how to parent well and she shares her knowledge with warm wit and humor. I think this is a book to come back to again and again to find methods and advice on weary days. The book has a ton of good ides and simple strategies for parents. Check it out!

***I will mail my copy out to one reader. Just leave a comment and I will draw a name on Sunday night.



StumbleUpon

5 comments:

Chrissy said...

Sounds like a good read... I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the review!

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy. This sounds pretty good. With kids in just about every realm of development this could come in handy. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

sounds like fun--I'm all about traditions and rituals!

village mama said...

Love your concise and honest review (NO need to include me in the contest - I'll get it from the 'bary). XO

Jodi said...

Love when a book can grab your thoughts like that. Just finished one myself.

As far as traditions, my family is rich with them...something I am very proud of!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails