Friday, April 18, 2008

But time makes you bolder


































Today was long and sorta gritty. My house is a tip and I have so much laundry to do that it mocks me from the basement. Do you ever get sick at how many articles of clothing live with you? I have hooves for feet and my eyebrows need grooming. My to do list is long and scary and mulch needs to be purchased in the morning. Blaise has figured out how to climb on top of the kitchen table and I am tired.


My grandmothers best friend Ella died yesterday at age 99. I am sad about this. Ella and her husband were neighbors of my grandparents for over 50 years. Holy long time! They knew each other like family and I have really great memories of their home across the road. Hutch(what a bad ass name!)was a lovely chap who wore overalls and knew just about everything. They are etched in my mind as tightly as anything else when I think of my childhood and my grandparent's house. They are standing there in cotton dresses and work pants and they are watching me play.
Every month it seems like she loses someone she loves. It just keeps reminding me how old she really is and how very much I love her. I speak to my Gran at least once a day and have done so since I was 18 years old in college. The only exceptions have been when I was living in Greece or in the UK. We couldn't stop talking if we tried.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, sweet post. It's great to know your grandma has a loving granddaughter like you in her life.

village mama said...

What a pillar of power to have such a close bond with a 9 decade wise grandma!

Amanda said...

I had that with my grandfather. I envy you still having her, but will say that the daily phone calls I made to my grandfather still help to sustain me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails