Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I've been a miner for a heart of gold



It was a GOLD RUSH today.
We have been reading about the wild west and talking about the gold rush so we decided to have our own panning for gold experience in the backyard. I took small pieces of foam covered in gold glitter and hid them beneath sand in my trusty large wash tub. We used some old camping tins and water and panned for gold!
It was fun and kept their attention for quite a long time
I read some stories on the gold rush and California to them while they played and later we counted all the gold and since Finn had twenty pieces he could buy something out of the "general store".
There was even one shiny piece of gold left for me.
Guess what?
It was just enough to buy a cold Stella Artois from the "store" for mom.












For older kids- here is a good timeline to print out!


Get me delivered to yr email xo

7 comments:

Ry Pepper said...

This is brilliant! So much fun and what a cool way to teach them. Genius!

Our Crooked Tree said...

God you are good. What a great idea! I may have to dig the old tub out the closet! What fun!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like super-duper fun. When I was a kid, the gravel at our family campground was mixed with fool's gold. My brother and I spent hours collecting and hoarding while dreaming of treasures to buy.

Sizzle said...

I used to love to pan for gold when I was a kid. My grandparents actually lived in gold rush country so that made it extra fun.

Anonymous said...

What a GREAT idea! How creative! I'm happy you rewarded yourself with that Stella. Yum!

There's my tub again! :)

Liz said...

Dude, you are awesome!

Jamie - Family Focused Fun said...

What a creative idea! I like it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails