Friday, February 19, 2010

guest posters rock: mackinink


hi. it's me...karey m. of mackin ink and one-half of the t.ruffle girls. i wanted to come over and tell you a story.

just about the sweetest thing happened last week. i think of it still, and my eyes mist like mad. you might need to read this to better understand why. now or later or whenever or even never. i'm not terribly demanding about things like this.

so. my grae-rose was coloring with my esmé, while my lillie was somewhere else not making mischief for once. i've been thinking about my sister a lot lately. memories of her slap me awake some days. cradle me calm on others.

but grae started singing. and i'm not one to tell you i have the prettiest, the smartest, the fastest, best best best of the rest, do you know? that would just make both of us feel awkward and, at some point or another, you'd have to break it to me that they're not as -est as i think they are. they are pretty funny, and i do enjoy the heck out of those three. i'll tell you about that another time, though. back to grae's voice.

clear. as a canary.

i stopped drinking my coffee. put down my pen. let my computer sleep. just...stopped. i could've sat there all afternoon listening to my girl.

but what wrecked me? what completely chewed up my heart and swallowed it whole without even saying can you pass the butter, please? was watching the way esmé looked at her older sister while she sang. no need for more apple juice. she put down her crayon. rested her chin in her hand. just...stopped. i bet she could've sat there all afternoon listening to her girl.

did i ever tell you my sister used to sing to me?

thanks for inviting me over, amy. i am terribly fond of you. oh. one more thing. mary and i have this shoppe. would you like to buy some candy for your soul? we made it just for you. xoxo, friends. karey m.

12 comments:

maggie, dammit said...

OHMYHEART.

It's my favorite thing, when you write about your sister. Right up there with when you write about your girls. So you can imagine how happy this post made me.

xo

Simply Mel {Reverie} said...

and your girlies three (just like you) are the creme de la creme of the -est world!

krista said...

*sigh*
my heart can't handle this much beauty at once.
xo

Relyn Lawson said...

Oh, sigh. You make me want to have more children. But only if I can order up a girl.

Elizabeth @claritychaos said...

I love doobleh-vay and I love mackin ink, so this was just an extra special sweet treat for me on a Saturday morning!

The sibling relationships - they're such a gift to watch, aren't they? (I am one of 5 sisters and now have 3 boys. I love the dynamics.)

-elizabeth

Brandi said...

i love every single one of your stories, karey. and i've been thinking a lot about singing lately, so this, this was even more special.

JoLyn said...

The beauty of sisters across the generations...

Maria | Vintage Simple said...

Oh, Karey... You and your girlies three are the bestest everything. Forever. And your sister, who still lives through you guys? She's the bestest, too - forever.

xoxo,
-maria

Melissa de la Fuente said...

Oh god Karey....(choke...sob..) how do you DO that? Always getting me by the balls! I love your writing, did you know? And I adore you, your girlies three, and your sis(even though I never met any of you) must remedy that someday.
xoxo
Melis

Helene said...

Oh Karey...you just got me heavy with that one.
One day my brother told me I had the same facial expression when photographing as our brother who passed away (he was a photographer too). That felt like a a badge of honor.

xoxo

ZDub said...

So very lovely. As always.

cameron said...

I love hearing about your sister. Your memories of her really helped me once upon a time...
A tweety bird in a cage, you are sucha sweet friend.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails