Monday, February 11, 2008

I come back to the place you are




I am marrying my friend in a few days and we are finishing up the ceremony and the vows and all the cool sweet spots that will make this a very hip wedding. I like the fact that they have tons of music and non traditional vows and parts. I have been writing and working out some things in my head and also surfing the web for wedding info. I am shocked at how boring and uninspiring the search results are from wedding readings/vows query. I mean, I am pretty well read, but every poem- everything I have seen before. I will give exception to the offbeat bride. I love her. She rocks.
I was thinking about my wedding and how it was kinda indie and hip for 1999 and how me and my pals cuts hundreds of white birds out of paper and how they hung from the trees and I smiled all night looking at them. Our wedding was way out in the country on a bed and breakfast estate and everyone stayed over and the hills were so alive that evening in Ohio. I was thinking about Rob and Reg's wedding last summer...it was a carnival theme and I loved it! Married beside a kissing booth and photo booths for guests! I read "I Like You" by Sandol Stoddard and it was a hit. I love a wedding.
Avesta and I share a lot of the same taste in music and she is having some great songs in her ceremony but I am trying to convince her to add another one that I found on NPR. Duncan Sheik..who knew? But his song is perfect. I think of love songs and I always go back to the quintessential love song of my youth....Lloyd Dobler and a Boombox and Peter Gabriel and I go weak in the knees. "In Your Eyes" is so loaded with the past that I kinda don't like it anymore, I just have a fondness for it. (and how lucky is that Arquette lady/two songs written for her- MUSE!)
I think about if I were having my wedding just now...Would I be stressed? I think I have cultivated my creativity so much in the past 9 years that I would not be so carefree as I was then. I would worry and fret over details that back then I did not. I knew then that I wanted a perfect day and it was. But it is fun to think about what songs and decor and other things you would have now. I would still wear the same dress...That is always a good indication that the dress you picked was not dated. I still think there should be some more kick ass wedding sites online...Or at the very least..someone should compile wicked cool readings from all places in one site...So if you wanted hipster stuff or funny stuff or a really good line from a movie then you could find it. Enjoy the tune. "For You"
Love is so thick in the air today
I can hardly take it



Just bc we are on Lloyd Dobler and it is a Monday:
I don’t want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don’t want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don’t want to do that.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

My husband is Lloyd Dobbler. No, seriously -- he is. That part in the movie where he says he finally figured out what he's good at doing and what he's good at doing is taking care of Ione Skye? That's Brett.

I love reading about this ceremony and you know, total essay alert. Take lots of pictures and pitch it to Hallmark!!!

MarĂ­a said...

Everyone's writing about their weddings today!! I've always been fine with the fact that we were married @ the courthouse but now I'm starting to get a little sniffy about my lack of nostalgia!

Unknown said...

I love Lloyd Dobler. Now I have to go rent that movie.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails