Wednesday, April 1, 2009

"You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life."




This is the last day that you are four years old. Four was pretty much the most delicious year ever. We talk now like old friends. You are still yet under my spell and believe me to be a beautiful princess. You know what you like and what you don't like. You are a bit odd, but you come by it earnestly. You are excellent at the art of manipulation. You fall for the same joke over and over-(oops you dropped yr pocket). You like good music. You infuriate me sometimes, but can listen to me explain why now. You and I both practice saying "I'm Sorry" to each other anymore. It's not a one way street. You are fussy like daddy and ask me insane questions like if I have washed yr fork with soap. Yr heart is on yr sleeve like mommy. You are learning. You are opening up to this vast world. You comfort us now. You can make me stop whatever in the world it is that I am doing just to stare at yr loveliness. You still love pancakes. You are a good brother. You don't have any worries. Red is yr best color. You are protected. You are loved like mad.

I had to come inside after this photo shoot and hold a dishtowel in my hand and then to my face all dramatic like I was in movie or something. Overcome by yr growing up. It was like a fleeting moment of pain. It was bizarre. God- sometimes I wish I were normal.


title post- Harriet the Spy 1996

15 comments:

Alexis said...

Birthdays are so poignant with children. Of course, I find almost everything with kids excruciatingly poignant!

vincent said...

You are SO normal... and so pure!!!

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Your version of normal is also real. Some of the normal versions of normal are not.

And normal is overrated anyway.

Happy b-day to your angel!

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy, It's Carrie.
So I never comment on your posts, but i LOVE this one. Time goes so quickly. I remember being at his first birthday party. Finn is a lucky boy to have you for a mother. He will treasure this post later in life.
Beautiful!
xoxo

vincent said...

Happy Birthday to Finn...
Happy Birthday to Finn...
Five is awesome!!!

Velma said...

This is lovely.

Nicole (ThreeBySea) said...

I teared up the night before my son's first birthday because it was his last night before he turned one, before people started referring to as a toddler as opposed to an infant or a baby. You voiced so well what I think so many parents feel. Thanks for sharing!

Angella said...

What a great tribute, Amy.

kirida said...

I hope you get these photos printed and framed. They're perfect.

karey m. said...

dammit. why am i crying? and laughing at the same damn time?!

i am so fond of you. i just like knowing you're walking around somewhere, making people.

thanks for this one. i'd kirtsy it, but then everyone would realize i'm such a stalker.

Anonymous said...

happy birthday from a very proud god mama. xoxoxo

village mama said...

Feliz Cumpleanos Finn! Enjoy the love!!

Sizzle said...

I loved this. :-)

Renovation Therapy said...

beautiful tribute! xoxox for you!

Kristine said...

What a beautiful message to your son!
And nothing is more worthy of celebration than someone who is entirely himself and wears his heart on his sleeve.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails