Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"I don't even remember what it was I was mad about and I don't care."

I was thinking about birds yesterday. About how Finn was asking about birds flying in v shapes from a book we read. About why they do that? I was explaining in my best wiki/google mom way that V-shaped formations help the birds fly better- they fly more efficiently together in this manner because it makes it easier to slice through the air. I told him that they are like a team against the wind. It made sense to him. But I lingered on the part that I like best about birds migrating- how there are really no leaders in the bird V. The birds take turns flying in front and when the leader gets tired (because it is the hardest spot) it flies back to the others and another bird steps up to lead for a bit.
It's how I like to imagine my friendships. Sometimes one of us is right up there being strong and pushing through and encouraging and eating the world and sometimes we are back in the way back just holding on. I like to remind myself of this from time to time. There is a need for balance and it is comforting to know that we have folks to lean on when it gets hard. Who is yr team against the wind and have you checked yr leader lately? Is she tired?
I am going on a girls trip this spring, a small little retreat with my girls and I can't wait to discuss this.
There is such strength in women's friendships.
I think if harnessed- it would rival the energy of two year old children.
I think it could light homes just like it lights our hearts.


title post- Beaches 1988

8 comments:

Rowena said...

I think I'm the team leader right now, but my team has shrunk down two a flock of two.

Do you think I should gather up the lapsed birdies? I know you can't force someone to fly, but I don't even know if they are wanting to fly? What if they do, and have just lost their way?

katekatenegotiate said...

very nice post. --kate

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I love that image. And this is how you know that you *need* help (in some way, shape or form) - when you can't leave the helm. When you either don't trust anyone to take over or simply don't have anyone to rely on.

village mama said...

I second Kate, 'very nice post' indeed. xo

Susiej said...

OK, now I'm a bit teary and glad to be your friend. So maybe mitten exchange this Thursday?

Sizzle said...

Girl friendships are awesome and powerful. I really wish I could go on a girl get away.

Abby said...

I bet your girl trips totally rock. I love your imagery in this.

bernthis said...

I agree. I just feel like b/c of my situation my friends are doing a lot more of the holding up than I am.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails